Your Valuable Collectibles at Risk
Burglary has always been a stressful and scary situation that no one ever wants to be a part of. Everything that you have worked hard for is gone in a matter of minutes. Unfortunately, in these modern days, thieves are seeking out beyond the television and jewelry. They’re looking for the high ticket items – your prized collectibles.
According to the US Federal Bureau of Investigation, burglary is a huge problem that cost victims an estimated $4.6 billion in lost property in 2010. A majority of this property was stolen collectibles. The FBI has seized stolen art collections, military collectibles, historic documents, and even moon rocks.
Residential properties made up almost 74 percent of all reported burglaries in 2010. Collectibles are the best non-cash, most sought after items that a thief can make thousands of dollars in reselling. Here’s the top 10 items that burglars look for:
- Antiques: Antiques collections are the most sought after by thieves because they’re hard to trace and easy to resell.
- Baseball, Football, and Sports Cards: Sports card collections are also targeted. Only very rare cards collected by active collectors would be difficult to steal without attracting attention.
- Coin Collections: Like Antiques, Coin Collections are also highly sought after because they’re difficult to trace and easy to sell. An upward trend on silver and gold are also driving the appeal to steal coins.
- Crystal & Glass: Depression-era glass, beautiful crystal goblets, and stained glass items are also sought after by thieves.
- Die Cast Models: Model cars are still a big collector market, especially older toys and collectibles. These can easily gain big dollars for thieves who resell these items.
- Dolls, Stuffed Animals, and Doll Houses: Old Barbie dolls, Raggedy Ann and Andy, Barbie houses and clothes, etc. are also not safe. Thieves have taken Barbie collections worth thousands of dollars.
- Entertainment, Media, Movie, and Record Collections: If you own any movie merchandise of classic films, have a great record collection, or film collection, they’re also at risk of being taken and resold for thousands of dollars.
- Figurines: Figurines are a very valuable and sought after collections for thieves. These collections can also value at the thousands.
- Guns and Fishing Gear: Thieves search and seek out any guns and gear. They can either be resold or used as a part of their heists.
- Military Gear and Historic Collections: Any item of historic significance can be taken. These collections are very valuable and easily resellable. Almost on every American street, there is a military and history collector.
If own a valuable collection, are they properly insured? Some homeowners or property insurance policies do not cover damage or loss of collectibles. Some policies may even restrict coverage on collectible items. Alandale Insurance agents can help protect your valuable collectibles by making sure they are covered before the unspeakable happens. Call Alandale Insurance Agency at (888) 854-4501 for your free quote today!