How keeping an inventory of your home can save you loss later!
If you own a home, you know the importance of keeping an inventory of all your things just in case of a fire, burglary or other situation that could happen to you. But instead of taking the time to write out a list on paper, a simpler way to do it is with a video camera! Just take the video and store it somewhere safe where you’ll always have that copy to present to your insurance agent when and if something ever happens.
Taking the video is very easy, all you have to do is straighten up the house, grab the camera and then narrate as you move from room to room.
Some tips when you’re recording:
- Make sure you include your name, date, time and location of your home. It helps to avoid confusion especially if you make another video.
- Move slowly throughout the house, pausing on specific items
- You don’t need to pause on every article of clothing, just run through them to get a general view of the quantity and styles of your clothes.
- Point out expensive items like electronics, appliances and jewelry. If you remember how much they cost, be sure to narrate that as well
- Zoom in on artwork to tape the signature and zoom in on serial numbers of appliances and electronics
After you shoot the video, MAKE SURE you store a copy of it away from your house. A safe deposit box is a good idea.
Don’t be one of those people who find out too late that they should have increased their coverage amounts or replacement cost coverage! You can use your inventory to figure out how much the replacement costs will be. Add up the estimated values then compare it with your policy’s personal property limit.
Keep your belongings safe! Do an inventory today!